- Using Conditional Cash Transfers that incentivize education and discourage child marriage, Kanyashree Prakalpa aims at improving the status of adolescent girls from socio-economically disadvantaged families.
- Deeply aware that cash transfers alone are not enough to change societal norms and structural barriers that perpetuate child marriage and gender based discrimination, the Kanyashree’s cash transfers were accompanied by Public Advocacy and Social Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) Strategy to influence the societal forces that perpetuate gender inequality. This strategy has since been scaled up into a full-fledged Cash Plus programme called Kanyashree Plus, and is the innovation under discussion in this nomination.
- Kanyashree Plus is a multidimensional programme that not only focuses on empowering adolescent girls, but also works with on knowledge skills and attitudes of a range of government and community stakeholders for social transformation.
- Girls groups called Kanyashree Clubs have been formed in approximately 12,000 schools and 116776 community hubs across the state, covering the state’s 78.81 lakh adolescent girls. Peer leaders from the Clubs are trained in participatory training methodologies and topicsof interest and are supported in disseminating these in a cascading manner other Club members, who in turn, share these with other peers, parents and siblings, and community groups.
- Simultaneously, government outreach workers seek to influence parents and siblings, other youth groups, community influencers, especially religious leaders and local governance administrators in achieving a more equitable environment that sustains the well-being of adolescent girls, and supports their transition to healthy and socio-economically empowered livelihoods.
- Kanyashree Plus has age-appropriate SBCC activities to mitigate adolescent girls’ inhibited ability to make informed life choices, inadequate access to education, nutrition and reproductive health care services, and face gender based discrimination. Kanyashree Plus also seeks to generate opportunities, including skilling and livelihood opportunities for the economic empowerment of girls.
- Information is provided in attractive adolescent-friendly modules comprising stories, games, audio-visual modules, and interactive discussions and action-oriented learning is encouraged. Linkage to government services and knowledge of rights is an important activity, and participation of peer leaders in community affairs is being encouraged.
All efforts have been made to make the information as accurate as possible, WCD, Govt. of West Bengal or National Informatics Centre (NIC), will not be responsible for any loss to any person caused by inaccuracy in the information available on this Website. Any discrepancy found may be brought to the notice of Department of Women Development & Social Welfare, Govt. of West Bengal or NIC.
This site is best viewed with Firefox 58.0.1 or above, Google Chrome 58.0 or above, IE 7 or above.
© 2013-2017 Wbkanyashree - All Rights Reserved
Last Updated on - 22.02.2024